Monday, January 6, 2014

Next up: Pedro Martinez!

I'm thrilled to announce the subject of my next picture book biography: the greatest baseball player I've ever seen in person, and one of the greatest pitchers of all time, Pedro Martinez.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, so many of my fondest baseball memories are of watching Pedro pitch. Once I even spent the whole night outside Fenway Park, in hopes of getting tickets to see him pitch in game 3 of the 1999 American League Championship Series. (I got tickets, and it was worth it!)

Back then, I didn't know much about Pedro beyond what I saw on the field and what I heard in his always-entertaining post-game interviews.  But when I started researching his life, I learned that there was so much more to Pedro's story.

I don't want to give away too much, but I can tell you the title: Growing Up Pedro. It's a story about overcoming obstacles, the power of brotherhood, and of course, baseball.

Here's a sneak peek at one of the illustrations:



Growing Up Pedro will be published by Candlewick, and will hit bookstores in February of 2015. I'm about halfway done with the illustrations, so time to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment